skip to main | skip to sidebar

MARY JANE

This blog follows my quest for knowledge of legalization and taxing of Marijuana in New York State. Personal experience will not be a major source because I'm looking at the government issues. I attempt to make a fair argument but the blog is biased as it supports legalizing Marijuana in NY for its great economic benefits.

Monday, May 7, 2007

Entry #1: First Few Things I've LEARNED

Some economists (around 500) proposed a bill and signed a petition arguing for the legalization of MJ in the U.S. and how taxing would bring tremendous profit to Federal and State governments. Their report was called "The Budgetary Implications of Marijuana Prohibition" (June, 2005).The report estimates that "legalizing marijuana would save $7.7 billion per year in government expenditure on enforcement of prohibition. $5.3 billion of this savings would accrue to state and local governments, while $2.4 billion would accrue to the federal government... [Also], marijuana legalization would yield tax revenue of $2.4 billion annually if marijuana were taxed like all other goods and $6.2 billion annually if marijuana were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco. "
Posted by Leslie at 10:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2007 (3)
    • ▼  May (3)
      • A "CRACK TAX" IS ENFORCED IN TENNESSEE
      • Entry #1: First Few Things I've LEARNED
      • THINGS I NEED TO KNOW TO DISCUSS LEGALIZING & TAXI...

About Me

My photo
Leslie
View my complete profile